Wednesday, April 14, 2004

 

Nite Hawk muses on words by night.

Nite Hawk likes words.

Like trinket.

I started reading Nite Hawk's post (April 12, no permalink) on this word and realised I have one of those as well!

A cedar box ... except that mine is an old clock just like this. I have stored stuff inside this old clock since ... well, since I had the clock, which was when I was about 12 or 13. It came from my grandmother's house after she died. My older brother got his hands on it and ... painted it iridescent yellow! It was the sixties, OK? Everything was painted iridescent yellow. Then he gave it to me. Thanks, bro.

Anyhow, in my iridescent yellow clock there is a feather from a pigeon, George, I once had as a part-time pet (i.e. he was 'free range' but came to my house for food. I would lie on the ground and George would stand on my stomach and peck wheat grains from my chest. Cool.) There are tickets from some film festival or other full of punched holes corresponding to the respective attended sessions. (I practically lived in the cinema for two weeks, yet I am now largely sceptical about 'art-house' cinema.) There is a locker key from my last year at high school (what! throw that out - are you mad?) There is a timetable from Year 10, my favourite, at high school, completed in blue ink from a Sheaffer pen. There is a small diary of my trip to Perth in a '67 Valiant towing a Franklin caravan with my uncle, aunt and cousin when I was fifteen. There is my daughter's plastic wristband nametag from when she was born. And an envelope containing her first cut lock of hair. And a 'thumbnail' photo of my son, aged 5, in his first year at school (they send home a 'thumbnail' photo so you can order larger copies, but how can you throw out the 'thumbnail'? That's right. You can't. Into the old clock.)

So. Check out Nite Hawk's Wonderwords.

This is one of the few sites that works well in white out of black, because there is a night sky background, and the sombre words look like so many cold, glittering stars in the lonely middle of a clear moonless night.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?