Wednesday, May 12, 2004

 

The things children come out with.

One time I was walking through the supermarket, probably getting some instant noodles or a can of tuna or maybe some milk or bread or coffee or something. I dunno, I can't remember.

I had my daughter with me. She was like about five or six, you know, the hyper-cute age, after they learn to be house-trained but before they go feral.

So we're like pushing the trolley along the aisle and my precious daughter comes right out and says to me, "Dad, what size bowling shoes do you take?" - just like that! - and stares at me, expectantly, waiting for an answer.

Like, "What size BOWLING shoes do I take?"!

Not what size normal shoes. Or what size running shoes, which I wear frequently.

You have to understand that not only had we not even been talking about bowling, I haven't actually ever been bowling.

To this day, it remains the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life.

*

Where was I? Oh, in nostalgia land, I'm afraid. Brought on by flipping through some sports-oriented blogs and coming across this well-written blog about bowling, among other subjects.

Angel describes the recruiting of a toddler to the game:

'Zoe mooches in a couple of shots with assistance. But that is not bowling, yet ... Her first game was at Rocket (as it should be, since she recognizes when we're going there from 3 blocks away), and her score was a nice, even 40. Later, at Corbin she managed a 53 or something close to that. The nice thing about Corbin is they have the ball speed monitor and Zoe comes in at a blistering 2.6 mph. Yes, she uses bumpers. Can she carry the ball herself? She can, but since it's more than 20% of her bodyweight, I prefer she not. She kneels at the foul line and away it goes. Slowly.'

Click on the bowling archive link for more.

*

I still don't know what size bowling shoes I take. I should find out one day.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?