Monday, May 24, 2004

 

Up in smoke.

In Australia, the cost of a pack of Winfield 25s is $9.85.

Of that price, 65% goes to Government coffers as tax.

That is correct - 65% - not 6.5%.

This massive tax grab from the smoker was a cynical ploy originally sold to the public as a 'health measure'. The Government hoped smokers would give up the habit because they couldn't afford it, as in 'Oh my, look at the price of those fags, I don't think I'll buy any today. Or ever again.'

Duh.

So gradually the price racheted up and the tax take ratio increased and smoking levels settled at about 22-27% of the adult male population.

There are other implications. Less bang for your buck leads to teenagers searching for alternative ways to get a hit or to rebel. Hello, drugs.

Lesson: governments need to decide how deep their convictions are. If it's legal, it's legal. Don't try to ban it by putting it out of the reach of people - especially those who are statistically more likely to resort to other forms of addiction, i.e. the poor.

What brought this on? Oh, I was just reading Fizzle & Pop.

Collin is a commercial artist who will do commissions.

He has a son and daughter, the latter of whom has an imaginary friend called Kokeeno. And that's the cue (do you like the way I work?) for yet another Ranger anecdote:

I have a sister, now grown up, with a unique claim to fame (as far as I know) - she is the only child I have ever known whose imaginary friend had both a given name and a surname! I have never forgotten this! It used to amuse me endlessly. The imaginary friend's name was Kerry Garan.

I used to tease my sister by continually asking her 'Well how's Kerry doing today?' and she'd get mad and say 'It's not Kerry, it's Kerry GARAN!!'

Anyway, Collin does zany comics and has some cool art links. Check it out.

DISCLAIMER
The Ranger doesn't smoke cigarettes but will occasionally light up one of his two pipes (a Peterson and another brand he can't remember) when browsing blogs in his cosy study. The dog likes the aroma.

PS: If anyone else had or has an imaginary friend with a surname, especially Garan, please let me know. You should meet my sister.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?